Unit Questions - BaroqueMeral2013
Choose four of the following questions and write a 150-350 word response to each question (points deducted for not meeting word count requirements). Include the question at the top of your response. Put all responses into one document – in other words don’t submit the assignment multiple times, once for each response. Remember – you MUST put information in your own words (this includes information from your text book and online sources) or it is considered plagiarism and you will receive a score of 1 on the assignment.
SELECT FOUR below
1. Name at least 3 ways in which Caravaggio's The Crucifixion of Saint Peter illustrates the Catholic Reformation emphasis on the immediacy of religious experience?
2. How does the stylistic term "mannerism" apply to El Greco's The Agony in the Garden? Parmigianino's Madonna of the Long Neck? Provide at least 3 specific examples. What effect do you think the painters wanted to achieve?
3. Name at least 3 ways as to how Bernini's sculpture The Ecstasy of St. Theresa is theatrical?
4. When, where, and why did opera emerge as a form of artistic expression?
5. Name at least three ways as to how "Protestant devotionalism" of the North Netherlands reveals itself in the paintings of Rembrandt? Provide at least two specific examples of Rembrandts painting that demonstrate your analysis.
6. Name three characteristics of Baroque style painting. Give specific examples of EACH characteristic that you name.
7. Name three new musical forms developed during the Baroque period. Describe each form that you name. (Hint: forms are like opera, concerto, etc. - NOT just the use of instrumental music, etc.)
8. Tell us something about Johann Sebastian Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi.
9. What is absolutism? Name at least 3 features about the Palace of Versailles that show Louis XIV's absolutism?
- 4 years ago