Cover letters are recommended, and in some instances required, for job applications. If you want to stand out from other candidates, you will want to write a unique cover letter for each position you apply to.
Cover letters allow you to clarify, detail, and expand upon your most relevant skills and competencies. In addition, a cover letter allows you to showcase your written communication skills.
It is important that you have a compelling cover letter. To write an impactful cover letter you need to answer the following questions before you begin composing it. Starting with these questions will help provide a clear and concise message for the reader of your cover letter.
- Why are you interested in the position? Consider what makes the position, organization, or company interesting to you.
- What three skills or competencies do you possess that match the skills the employer is seeking in a candidate?
You can find these skills by viewing the job description. These specific skills are the reason every cover letter should be unique for each job for which you apply.
For this discussion, you will explore the components of a cover letter, reflect on your most relevant skills, and assess what action steps you can take to make your resume stronger.
- For step-by-step instructions for creating a cover letter, please use the Cover Letter and Sample (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to see additional ways to format your cover letter.
- For more in-depth guidance for writing a cover letter please watch the Cover Letter Webinar (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
In your Discussion Post:
- First, identify a position on http://www.indeed.com/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or the district you would like to work for, that interests you as a potential job opportunity and using the job description identify three (3) skills or qualifications that match your background.
- Next, using the format suggestions from both the webinar and cover letter sample, create a second paragraph that communicates the three (3) matching skills and/or competencies you would like to highlight for the employer. Keeping these three skills in mind, develop a three to four sentence paragraph that you can share on the discussion board to obtain feedback from your classmates. The goal is to tailor the body of your cover letter to the position you seek.
- In your discussion post, paste the link of the job description you’re interested in and a 3-4 sentence paragraph that you have written for this job application.
- Liz2013: what do you need from me to help you with this discussion?
I have AA working on a BA. I use to run childcare daycare (ages 1 to 10 years old) for a year. Then I work as part time teacher, but to become a full-time teacher I knew I had to farther my education. I knew I wanted to work with 3rd to 8th graders. Right now, I’m tutor.
If teaching don’t work out for me I want to be a school councilor
- 4 years ago
- Let's say that you go out for dinner. The meal and the service are excellent. You want to leave a...
- Nic Saybin Enterprises Accounting Department collects all pertinent monthly operating data. Selected data are presented below for the current month. From the data provided, please provide Saybin Enterprises Management with a flexible budget analysis to se
- Assignment completed
- Assignment completed
- Final Paper
- MM E3
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are commonly used as cooling fluids for electrical transformers.
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE FORENSICS
- Journalize all required closing entries for the year.
- INTERNAL OPERATIONS
- NOT RATED3 years ago