Michigan History Questions

profilegentle_gent
his_og_mi_extra_credit.docx

Battle of Bloody Run

hoto of Battle of Bloody Run

Near this site, in late July 1763, the British and Indians fought the fiercest battle of Chief Pontiac's uprising. As Captain James Dalyell led about 260 soldiers across Parent's Creek, the Indians launched a surprise attack which devastated the British. Dalyell and some sixty of his men were killed, and the creek became known as Bloody Run. This battle marked the height of Pontiac's siege of Detroit, a struggle which he was forced to abandon three months later.

 

Omega Psi Phi

hoto of Omega Psi Phi

This Victorian structure built in the early 1890s houses the Detroit chapter of the first national Greek letter fraternity established at a Negro University. Omega Psi Phi was founded in 1911 at Howard University in Washington D.C. The Greek letters symbolize the motto "Friendship is essential to the soul." DeWitt T. Burton, Francis Dent and O.T. Davis formed Nu Omega the local chapter in 1923. Fifteen years later Nu Sigma, the undergraduate chapter, began at Wayne State University. Purchased in 1942 by Nu Omega, this house fulfilled the fraternity's initial purpose by creating an association of college men with similar ideals of manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift. Many members of this chapter achieved local or national prominence.

William Ferguson Homesite

hoto of William Ferguson Homesite

Wayne State University

hoto of Wayne State University

Here in the Central High building completed in 1896 was founded in 1917 Detroit Junior College, from which grew a college of liberal arts. It united with other colleges, some begun here and some bearing notable histories in other parts of the city to form a municipal institution, which in 1934 was named Wayne University. The oldest college, that of Medicine, began in 1868. Wayne, with its ten colleges and schools was sustained by the people of Detroit through their Board of Education until 1956 when it became a State University.

William Ferguson, Michigan's first black legislator, lived on this site. Born in 1857 to the family of one of the state's first black doctors, he was educated in Detroit schools. Successful in printing and real estate, he also became a lawyer and in 1889 when he was expelled from Gies' European Hotel Restaurant for refusing to eat in the colored section, he filed suit. Defeated in lower court, he and his lawyer D. Augustus Straker, appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court. In Ferguson v. Gies (1890), the court ruled that separation by race in public places was illegal. The ruling propelled Ferguson to a prominent position in the black community, and he was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 1893 and 1895. He died in 1910.

 

Wayne State University

hoto of Wayne State University

Here in the Central High building completed in 1896 was founded in 1917 Detroit Junior College, from which grew a college of liberal arts. It united with other colleges, some begun here and some bearing notable histories in other parts of the city to form a municipal institution, which in 1934 was named Wayne University. The oldest college, that of Medicine, began in 1868. Wayne, with its ten colleges and schools was sustained by the people of Detroit through their Board of Education until 1956 when it became a State University.

Taylor Methodist Church

Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery

hoto of Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery

The Taylor Methodist Episcopal congregation built the first church in Taylor Township in 1882 on land donated by Marlin H.H. and Rachel Coan for a church and cemetery. Platted in 1884, this cemetery originated as the church's burial ground. At that time, remains dating from as early as the 1840s were relocated here form private families cemeteries. In 1923 the burial ground became the West Mound Cemetery, named for the large sand hill on which it stood. The remains of Peter Coan, Taylor's first landowner, are among the 3,200 graves, of which 114 date from the nineteenth century.

State Savings bank

State Savings Bank

hoto of State Savings Bank

Completed in 1900, this is Michigan's preeminent example of design by the internationally renowned architects, McKim, Mead and White of New York. The three-story Neoclassical structure features a white marble exterior with bronze window units. Among its superbly crafted interior features are carved Roman arched colonades with bronze grillwork and gold-leaf detail on the two-story high ceiling of the main room. In 1907 Peoples Savings Bank (established 1871) merged with the State Savings Bank (established in 1833) and made this structure its home. Having outgrown outgrown these quarters by 1914, Peoples State Bank commissioned Detroit architects Donaldson and Meier to design the Congress Street addition. The building became the world headquarters of Silver's Inc. in 1980.

State Fair

State Fair

hoto of State Fair

America's first state fair, conducted by the Michigan Agricultural Society with the support of the legislature and local citizens, was held in Detroit on Sept. 25-27, 1849. About $800 in premiums were awarded for those "articles, productions and improvements" that were "best calculated to promote the agricultural and household manufacturing interests of the State." The site of this annual fair was often moved until 1905 when it was given a permanent home here.

The Players

The Players

hoto of The Players

The Players, a Detroit gentlemen's amatuer theatre club founded in 1911, opened this playhouse in 1926. The handsome building was created by club members William E. Kapp, architect, Corrado Parducci, stone sculptor, and Paul Honore, muralist. The playhouse, built in the style of the sixteenth-century English Renaissance, was one of the earliest major structures in the area to use cinder block laid in ashlar on its interior walls to give the appearance of cut stone. It has been in continual use as a playhouse since its completion.

Orchestra Hall

Orchestra Hall

hoto of Orchestra Hall

This concert hall was built in 1919 as the home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. It was constructed to satisfy the demand of its music director, the internationally esteemed Ossip Gabrilowitsch, that a suitable hall be built. Architect Charles Howard Crane designed this brick and limestone structure which was completed in five months. The symphony moved to a larger facility in 1939. Two years later this hall became the Paradise Theatre featuring jazz and vaudeville until 1951. Scheduled for demolition in 1970 the building was acquired by Save Orchestra Hall, Incorporated. These concerned citizens restored the badly deteriorated Orchestra Hall, which now continues its tradition of acoustical excellence and quality music in Detroit.

Motown

Motown

hoto of Motown

The "Motown Sound" was created on this site from 1959 to 1972. The company started with an $800 loan from the savings club of the Bertha and Barry Gordy Sr., family. Originally called Tamla Records, the company's first national release was "Money (That's What I Want)," in August 1959. The founder, choosing a name that reflected the Motor City, coined the word "Motown" for the company that was incorporated as the Motown Record Corporation on April 14, 1960. That same year it produced its first gold record, "Shop Around." In 1968 the company, which had grown from a family-oriented business to an international enterprise, moved its business operations to 2457 Woodward. Motown provided an opportunity for Detroit's inner-city youth to reach their full potential and become super stars.