description about 3 buildings ( history and design )

profileQ87h
block26.docx

Macintosh HD:Users:yousefhussain:Downloads:Outlook:20140514_070429(0).jpg Macintosh HD:Users:yousefhussain:Downloads:Outlook:20140514_071407.jpg Macintosh HD:Users:yousefhussain:Downloads:Outlook:20140514_071156.jpg Macintosh HD:Users:yousefhussain:Downloads:Outlook:20140514_071113.jpg

Address: Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000

Architectural style of building: gothic revival style

Approximate age: opened in 1860

Description:

General Historical Facts

QV is the redevelopment of Melbourne's historic Queen Victoria Women's Hospital site. In March 1846 Melbourne's forefathers laid the foundation stone for the Princes Bridge and, as part of the same ceremony, a foundation stone was also laid at the Queen Victoria Women's Hospital (at the time named Melbourne Hospital), making this area of great historical significance.The Queen Victoria Women's Centre, at 210 Lonsdale Street, has remained untouched during the construction of QV, with the precinct working around the historic building to provide a wonderful contrast between old and new.QV's principally open-air, pedestrian-only, laneway network provides a rich cultural link to the site's history, with names carefully chosen to embrace the area's heritage.The QV precinct is a block footprint of Robert Hoddle's original plan of Melbourne.

Shilling Lane

The Queen Victoria Shilling Fund was established in 1897 to raise money for a hospital. By 1899, Victorian women had contributed 63,250 shillings, which helped to pay for a building in Little Lonsdale Street. In 1946, the Women's Hospital moved to the QV site (then referred to as the Melbourne Hospital) and from this time it was called the Queen Victoria Women's Hospital. Shilling Lane commemorates this wonderful story of support for the hospital.

Albert Coates Lane

Named in honour of Albert (Bert) Coates, who was a leading surgeon at The Melbourne Hospital from 1927. Previous to this, Coates had worked as a stretcher-bearer at Gallipoli in WW1 Coates' contribution to the medical profession rivals that of Weary Dunlop.

Red Cape Lane

Named in honour of the many nurses who worked at both the Melbourne and Queen Victoria Women's Hospital. In their time, the nurses were renowned for the distinctive red capes they wore as part of their uniform. This name is the result of Melbourne radio station 3AW running a listener competition.

Artemis Lane

Artemis is the Greek goddess of the wilderness and of wild animals She is also the goddess of fertility and childbirth for city dwellers

This name acknowledges QV's proximity to Melbourne's Greek precinct, as well as the site's history in providing city-based medical care for women.

Jane Bell Lane

Named in memory of Jane Bell, who was matron of the Melbourne Hospital from 1910-1934 and revolutionised training and nursing status throughout the State.

Constance Stone Lane

Named in honour of the first female registered doctor in Australia, Constance Stone, who gained degrees in the United States and United Kingdom before returning to her homeland to help establish the first women's hospital, staffed by women.