Steps For both Discussions:
Please remember as we discussed in the zoom session, you are debating the DEBATE THIS prompt. You are going to write an introductory paragraph stating your position with 3 supporting paragraphs and then a conclusion. Feel free to incorporate the fact pattern I gave you as an example to help prove your point. But you do not necessarily have to answer the questions posed. I want to see reasoned analysis and critical thinking. There is no right or wrong answer. Feel free to use the internet for all supporting resources, cases, journal, articles, etc... Make sure that you cite your sources.
1. Debate This: Security Interests
Paul Barton owned a small property-management company, doing business as Brighton Homes. In October, Barton went on a spending spree. First, he bought a Bose surround-sound system for his home from KDM Electronics. The next day, he purchased a Wilderness Systems kayak from Outdoor Outfitters, and the day after that he bought a new Toyota 4-Runner financed through Bridgeport Auto. Two weeks later, Barton purchased six new iMac computers for his office, also from KDM Electronics. Barton bought all of these items under installment sales contracts. Six months later, Barton’s property-management business was failing. He could not make the payments due on any of these purchases and thus defaulted on the loans. Using the information presented in the chapter, answer the following questions.
- For which of Barton’s purchases (the surround-sound system, the kayak, the 4-Runner, and the six iMacs) would the creditor need to file a financing statement to perfect its security interest?
- Suppose that Barton’s contract for the office computers mentioned only the name, Brighton Homes. What would be the consequences if KDM Electronics filed a financing statement that listed only Brighton Homes as the debtor’s name?
- Which of these purchases would qualify as a PMSI in consumer goods?
- Suppose that after KDM Electronics repossesses the surround-sound system, it decides to keep the system rather than sell it. Can KDM do this under Article 9? Why or why not?
A financing statement that does not have the debtor’s exact name should still be effective because creditors should always be protected when debtors default
2. Debate This: Personal Bankruptcy
Three months ago, Janet Hart’s husband of twenty years died of cancer. Although he had medical insurance, he left Janet with outstanding medical bills of more than $50,000. Janet has worked at the local library for the past ten years, earning $1,500 per month. Since her husband’s death, Janet also has received $1,500 in Social Security benefits and $1,100 in life insurance proceeds every month, giving her a monthly income of $4,100. After she pays the mortgage payment of $1,500 and the amounts due on other debts each month, Janet barely has enough left over to buy groceries for her family (she has two teenage daughters at home). She decides to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, hoping for a fresh start. Using the information provided in the chapter, answer the following questions.
- Under the Bankruptcy Code after the reform act, what must Janet do before filing a petition for relief under Chapter 7?
- How much time does Janet have after filing the bankruptcy petition to submit the required sched-ules? What happens if Janet does not meet the deadline?
- Assume that Janet files a petition under Chapter 7. Further assume that the median family income in the state in which Janet lives is $49,300. What steps would a court take to determine whether Janet’s petition is presumed to be substantial abuse under the means test?
- Suppose the court determines that no presumption of substantial abuse applies in Janet’s case. Nevertheless, the court finds that Janet does have the ability to pay at least a portion of the medical bills out of her disposable income. What would the court likely order in that situation?
Rather than being allowed to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy petitions, individuals and couples should always be forced to make an effort to pay off their debts through Chapter 13.
- a month ago
- Only For Baber Makayla
- market project
- PROJ 592 Final Exam, 02 sets
- MKT 421 Final Exam
- The academic register compiled data on 11,000 students which were summarized
- ETHICAL THEORY [Pin It] 400 words Ethical Theory 1. Which of the ethical theories discussed in this unit are you most sympathetic to? Why? Which of the ethical theories are you least sympathetic to? Why? 2.
- Finance task assignment 1
- Given below are the last four digits of 18 random phone numbers of your local population
- CGD218 Visual Literacy in Business WEEK 3 ASSIGNMENT Photographs and visuals Using Photographs from the web
- Compliance Laws & Challenges
Debate This: Security Interests2 years ago