Of Mice and Men
For this assignment, you will need to examine the plot and characters of Of Mice and Men to extract a theme. A theme is a complete sentence of topic and opinion, a judgment about life. Themes should be complex and not obvious statements. In a short essay, you will introduce your theme and support it with evidence from the novel.
- Discuss history context
- Introduce the novel
- Introduce theme (CLAIM)
- Each paragraph focused on claim
- Separate ideas into paragraphs
- Summary of claim and support
- Implications for how we live
You will need:
- 4+ substantial quotations
- Correct punctuation
To help arrive at the theme, complete the graphic organizer:
(Examples: oppression (racism/sexism), workers, friendship, responsibility, loneliness
1. Which characters exhibit this topic?
2. How is the topic being demonstrated?
George is responsible for Lennie
Candy - the dog.
Slim is responsible for the ranch and its workers
2a. Quotation that shows how a character acts, thinks, or feels about the topic
"An' whatta I got...I got you! You can't keep a job and you lose me ever' job I get. Jus' keep me shovin' all over the country all the time. An' that ain't the worst. You get in trouble. You do bad things and I got to get you out...you keep me in hot water all the time".
3. Incorporating all the above ideas together, what is being said about the topic? 1 Complete sentence. This will be your theme
In Of Mice and Men, the theme of responsibility keeps men from unraveling is shown through George, Candy, and Slim.
- 10 months ago
- Marketing Strategy for a New Product*****A++ Rated Tutorial Already***** Use as a Guide Paper*****
- Discussion Week 5 CIS
- Unit IV Organizational Communication
- unit 8
- Address three challenges faced by criminal justice organizations in implementing technological initiatives/ Consider the importance of visuals in connecting with an audience?
- Assessments for ELLs
- For Phyllis Young: Applying Behavioral and Cognitive Behavioral Therapies