LIT101 week 2akinjalr10
For this discussion board you will identify the elements of short stories within some of the most famous short stories around the world.
Then, using ONE of the stories, analyze it further by answering the following questions for your initial response.
Background of Story (one paragraph):
- Which author and short story did you choose?
- Give a brief description and background of the author.
- Give a short summary of the plot of the story.
Analysis of Short Story (3-4 paragraphs, one page)
Choose at least four of the following questions to discuss about your chosen short story.
- Did you enjoy the story? Why or why not?
- Is the title appropriate for this story? Why or why not?
- What characteristics did the story have that made it a good story? Give examples from your readings to support your point of view/
- Who is the main character? Describe the main character and how the author conveyed these characteristics.
- What is the conflict in the story? How does the story resolve this conflict?
- What is the defining moment (climax) of the story?
- What is the setting of the story?
- From what point of view is the story told?
- Was there anything in the author's bio that might have explained the subject matter or tone of the story?
Review at least 5 (five) of the following readings and/or multimedia presentations. You should focus your attention on the elements of a short story as well as the characteristics of what makes a good story and storyteller. Please note, sometimes there are different terms for elements of a short story. For assignment and testing purposes, we will use the last reading of this list for consistency.
- The Art of Storytelling | Patrick Wallace | TEDxChadwickSchoolThe Art of Storytelling | Patrick Wallace | TEDxChadwickSchool (Links to an external site.)
- Introduction to storytelling https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-content/pixar/storytelling/we-are-all-storytellers/v/storytelling-introb (Links to an external site.)
- 10 steps to mastering the art of storytelling – TrekkSoft https://www.trekksoft.com/en/blog/10-steps-to-mastering-the-art-of-storytelling (Links to an external site.)
- The Art of Storytelling https://thequintessentialmind.com/the-art-of-storytelling/ (Links to an external site.)
- Fundamentals of Story Structure https://writingcooperative.com/fundamentals-of-story-structure-e199f131a891 (Links to an external site.)
- How to Write a Great Short Story - The 8-Point Story ArcHow to Write a Great Short Story - The 8-Point Story Arc (Links to an external site.)
- The Psychology of What Makes a Great Story: https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/01/20/jerome-bruner-actual-minds-possible-worlds-storytelling/ (Links to an external site.)
- Terminology: Elements of a Short Story (this will be the standard language we will use): https://www.dreamerswriting.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Elements-of-a-Story-Explained.pdf
- 12 days ago