Gisborne New Zealandcastle1
The objective of this discussion post is to use the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program information to find an earthquake that has occurred within the last 5 years, and report its location, stats, map, closest cities, implied hazards, etc.
1. Please post your selection for your Earthquake in the Unit 13 Topic Selection discussion area. Earthquakes cannot be repeated.
2. Include the following information in your discussion for full credit:
- Navigate to the USGS’ Earthquake Hazards Program Earthquake Catalog https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/
- Use the Basic Options to query (Search) all earthquakes that have occurred worldwide, over the previous five (5) years, minimum 7.0 magnitude
- Navigate to an earthquake of your choosing and report the following information
- Name, Time/data of occurrence, location (latitude/longitude), depth, magnitude
- Ancillary information you find interesting. (fault area size, fault type, historical earthquakes, etc.)
- Include two maps. 1) show the epicenter’s location on a political map and 2) show the epicenter’s location plotted within Google Earth (download the event kml…located on the left side of the webpage)
- Describe the tectonic setting of the area where the earthquake occurred. Include plate boundaries, plate names, motions, etc.
- Use the information on this site to report out the estimated fatalities and economic loss…how did this earthquake affect the region/nearby cities?
- Describe the nearby population centers- include what types of structures exist
- Describe any secondary effects associated with this event
3. In addition, please develop 2-3 questions for another classmate to answer related to the earthquake you described.
It is important that ALL of this work is your original work. If you do cite any sources, please do so in accordance with MLA Formatting and Style Guide - OWL|Purdue Online Writing Lab. Also, please review the academic honesty information to refresh on citing sources, etc. Finally, eCore also provides embedded Librarians for assistance on writing matters.
- 2 years ago