Excel 2019 In Practice - Ch 7 Independent Project 7-6thomasd
The Hamilton Civic Center is developing a template for member exercise and off-site seminars. You create the template, set validation, enter formulas, and insert a combo box control. You then create a new workbook from the template.
[Student Learning Outcomes 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.6]
File Needed: HamiltonCC-07.xlsx (Available from the Start File link.)
Completed Project File Names: [your name]-HamiltonCC-07.xlsx
Skills Covered in This Project
- Set data validation to use a list.
- Set validation to restrict dates.
- Create an error alert message.
- Insert a combo box control.
- Check accessibility and add alt text.
- Protect a worksheet.
- Open the HamiltonCC-07 workbook and click the Enable Editing button. The file will be renamed automatically to include your name.
- Select cell D2 on the Data sheet and review the formula. The formula divides calories by time and rounds the results to three decimal places.Figure 7-69 Custom format for values
- Select cells D2:D10 and open the Format Cells dialog box.
- Select the Custom category on the Number tab and build a format to display three decimal places (Figure 7-69).
- Select cell D2 and click the Format Painter button [Home tab, Clipboard group]. Click the Calorie Tracking tab and paint the format to cells E3:E33.Figure 7-70 VLOOKUP formula
- Select cell E3 on the Calorie Tracking sheet. Start a VLOOKUP function to lookup the label in cell C3. For the array, use an absolute reference to cells A2:D10 on the Data sheet. The Col_index_num is 4 for the calories per minute column. Leave the Range_lookup argument empty; the array (A2:D10) is sorted in ascending order. The result of the VLOOKUP formula is calories per minute for the exercise (Figure 7-70).
- Edit the formula in cell E3 to multiply the results by the number of minutes in cell D3.
- Copy the formula in cell E3 to cells E4:E33. The #N/A error message displays in rows where no data displays.
- Select cells C3:C33 and set data validation to use the list of activity names on the Data sheet. Do not use an input message or an error alert.
- Select the Calorie Tracking sheet and delete the data in cells A3:D23.Figure 7-71 Data validation for dates
- Select cells B3:B33 and set data validation to use a Date that is less than or equal to TODAY (Figure 7-71). Include a Stop error alert with a title of Check Date and a message of Date must be today or in the past. including the period.
- Select cells A3:D33 and remove the Locked cell property. Select cell A3 to position the insertion point.
- Display the Developer tab on the Ribbon and click the Data worksheet tab.Figure 7-72 Combo box settings
- Draw a combo box control to cover cell F8 and open its Format Control dialog box. Select cells G8:G11 for the Input range and type f8 in the Cell link box (Figure 7-72).
- Deselect the control and then select Second from the control. The linked cell is under the control and hidden from view.
- Click the Hospital Seminars tab and select cell D4. This cell has Center Across Selection alignment applied.
- Select cell D4 and use CONCAT and INDEX to display the result from the combo box, concatenating the Index results to the word “Quarter.”
- Start a CONCAT function [Text group].
- Use the INDEX function with the first arguments list as the Text1 argument.Figure 7-73 INDEX is nested within CONCAT
- Choose cells G8:G11 on the Data sheet for the Array argument and cell F8 for the Row_num argument. You can select the combo box control or type f8 after the sheet name (Figure 7-73). When the array is one column, a Column_num argument is not necessary.
- Click between the two ending parentheses in the Formula bar to return to the CONCAT arguments and type a comma (,) to move to the Text2 argument. (If you accidentally click OK, click the Insert Function button to re-open the Function Arguments dialog box.)Figure 7-74 Space character is included with Text2 argument
- Click the Text2 box, press Spacebar, type Quarter, and click OK. (Figure 7-74).
- Format cell D4 as bold italic 16 pt.
- Select the Data sheet, select Third from the combo box control, and return to the Hospital Seminars sheet to see the results.
- Select cell D4 and cells D6:G10 on the Hospital Seminars sheet and remove the Locked property.
- Delete the contents of cells D6:G10 and select cell D6.
- Check accessibility and add the alternative text Hamilton Civic Center Logo to both pictures in the workbook.
- Select cell D6 on the Hospital Seminars sheet and cell A3 on the Calorie Tracking sheet.
- Protect the Hospital Seminars sheet and the Calorie Tracking sheet, both without passwords.
- Save and close the workbook (Figure 7-75).
- Upload and save your project file.
- Submit project for grading.
- 3 years ago