Courts Impact on Law & SocietyHershyeBrains
, choose one Supreme Court decision to evaluate that has impacted society in a positive or negative way. Below is a list of five societal issues for you to choose from along with example cases related to the issue.
- Pro-life vs. reproductive rights. Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization 597 US __ (2021)
- Citizenship rights for immigrants. Arizona v. United States 567 US __ (2012)
- Freedom of speech and religion. Republican Party of Minnesota v. White 536 US 765 (2002)
- LGBTQIA+ rights. Obergefell v. Hodges 576 US __ (2015)
- Workplace discrimination. Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber 550 US 618 (2007)
Step 1: Decide which societal issue is most important to you or one you want to learn more about.
Step 2: Research Supreme Court decisions and information related to the societal issue you chose.Locating Supreme Court Decisions
To find US Supreme Court Opinions (including facts of the case, the question, the conclusion, as well as oral argument, opinion announcement, Opinion syllabus, and Opinions):
- Go to Oyez Project website. The site is managed by the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law; and includes opinions from as early as the year 1789, audio of oral arguments for more recent cases, and a summary analysis or conclusion of each opinion.
Complete the following sections of the Week 10 Assignment Template to address the following:
- Your Chosen Supreme Court Decision.
Identify the Supreme Court decision you chose to evaluate, including 1) Case Name and Citation 2) Societal Issue 3) Name of Lower Court 4) Name of Deciding Justice 5) Date of Justice’s Decision.
- Your Reasons.
Discuss why you chose this decision to evaluate using specific examples.
- Summary of Decision.
Summarize the Supreme Court decision.
- Theory or Approach. Note: Reference Chapters 12 and 13 of your textbook.
Determine the theory or approach (cue, small-group analysis, attitude, and rational choice) you think the judge used to decide the case and explain how it relates to the decision. Cite any sources used.
- Impact of the Decision on Society.
Explain the impact of the decision on individuals and society using specific examples and cite any sources used.
- Impact of the Decision on the Rule of Law and Politics.
Explain the impact the decision had on the rule of law and politics using specific examples and cite any sources used.
- 25 days ago
- Case Management Comparison Paper
- BSHS 435 Week 3 Learning Team Assignment Journal Article Critique Paper
- Identify each stage of Erikson’s Eight Stages of Development. Determine which stage you currently fall into and why. If you do not think you fall into any, then theorize. Briefly explain yourself. Your response should be at least 200 words in length. Yo
- Assignment: Applications of Graph theory
- Accounting Assignment
- The Four S’s 300word this not essay ........ only a discussion
- Argument on should marijuana be legalized for recreational use?
- Weighted average cost of capital
- ITC203 Assignment 1
- legislative consequeces
Courts Impact on Law & SocietyNOT RATED
For this assignment, choose one Supreme Court decision to evaluate that has impacted society in a positive or negative way. Below is a list of five societal issues for you to choose from along with …a month ago