Task: Case study
· Individual task
· Read the journal article Díaz-Parra, Ibán, and Jaime Jover. "Overtourism, place alienation and the right to the city: insights from the historic centre of Seville, Spain." Journal of Sustainable Tourism 29.2-3 (2021): 158-175.
· From the article focus on the definitions and the analysis of the following concepts: alienation and place displacement, appropriation, gentrification, over-tourism, and authenticity.
· Choose a destination and apply these concepts to analyze it. You may use these guiding questions in your analysis:
o Which are the most relevant stakeholders in the case?
o Does the destination show signs of alienation and place displacement, appropriation, gentrification, overtourism?
o Is the destination authentic? Explain.
· In your case study, conclude whether tourism in the destination you have chosen is sustainable. In your evaluation, use the broader definitions of sustainability and sustainable tourism discussed in class (see slides).
- Predict the evolution of these concepts in relation to social, environmental, and economic issues discussed in class such as poverty, waster access, food access or access to education and health.
- Propose and defend an approach that you believe may help the destination develop a more sustainable form of tourism. Alternatives are the top-bottom approach, community-based approach, regulatory approach, marketing and market-based approach. You may choose a combination of approaches.
· Contextual information:
o Regarding the article of Díaz-Ibara & Jover (2020) focus on the theoretical framework and conclusions, it is not necessary to read the methodological part.
o Base your discussion of the concepts on the article of Díaz-Ibara & Jover (2020) and the following resources which will be discussed during the semester. These resources are all available in your EBSCO Library (Moodle). You may also do additional research if it is necessary.
§ Jillian M. Rickly and Elizabeth S. Vidon (2018) Authenticity & Tourism: Materialities, Perceptions, Experiences. Bingley, UK: Emerald Publishing Limited (Tourism Social Science Series). Available at: https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=1717716&site=ehost-live (Accessed: 24 September 2021). Read pages 1-12.
§ Rachel Dodds and Richard Butler (2019) Overtourism: Issues, Realities and Solutions. Berlin: De Gruyter Oldenbourg (De Gruyter Studies in Tourism). Available at: https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=2381171&site=ehost-live (Accessed: 24 September 2021).10-18; 46-57; 78-87
§ Case studies of Venice, Lucern and Prague available at Overtourism: Issues, Realities and Solutions. Berlin: De Gruyter Oldenbourg (De Gruyter Studies in Tourism). Available at: https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=2381171&site=ehost-live (Accessed: 24 September 2021).
o The city that you use as a destination for your case study area must be approved by the professor by week 3 (session 2) at the latest.
o It must be a city that is a relevant destination within a wider region.
· Expected table of contents
Introduction to the case
Discussion of concepts (authenticity, gentrification, place alienation, overtourism and appropriation)
Description of study area
Analysis of the destination using the concepts and definitions
· Case study in pdf format
· Wordcount: 3,000
· Cover, Table of Contents, References and Appendix are excluded of the total wordcount.
· Font: Arial 12,5 pts.
· Text alignment: Justified.
· The in-text References and the Bibliography must be in Harvard’s citation style.
Submission: Week 10 – Via Moodle (Turnitin). Friday, December the 5th at 23:59 CEST
Weight: This task is a 100% of your total grade for this subject.
- 7 days ago
- health admininstration
- HSA 546 WEEK 9 DISCUSSION
- Bibl 104 Bible Dictionary Project-New
- RES 531 Week 6 Assignment 4, Research Questions
- need it today
- Help Please Business Management
- For nyanya only
- Conflict Management:Outline of the Conflict,Identification of the Conflict,Initial Management of the Conflict
- PS260 Contributions to the Development of a Stress Disorder
- CIS 524 Week 4 DQ 1: Direct Manipulation and Virtual Environments