Edgar Allan Poe developed a theory of the construction of a tale. He wrote:
A skillful literary artist has constructed a tale. If wise, he has not fashioned his thoughts to accommodate his incidents; but having conceived, with deliberate care, a certain unique or single effect to be wrought out, he then invents such incidents – he then combines such events as may best aid him in establishing this preconceived effect. If his very initial sentence tend not to the out bringing of this effect, then he has failed in his first step. In the whole composition there should be no word written, of which the tendency, direct or indirect, is not to the one preestablished design.
Analyze Poe’s careful crafting of the works we studied. Keep his theory of the short story in mind – the idea that a story must have a "singular effect." He carries this philosophy over to his poetry as well. In "The Fall of the House of Usher," what is the singular effect of this story? How do the setting, characters, and plot all work together to carry this effect to the end? Be sure to also include the purpose of the literature within the story ("The Haunted Palace" and the Ethelred story).
How does he craft "Annabel Lee" and "The Raven"? How do the elements of each poem work together to carry a "singular effect" to the end?
Note: The Poe poems comprise ten points of this question. I provided extensive notes on the poems, and I want to see if you can relate Poe's theory to the poems. Do not overlook this aspect of the question.
- a year ago
- one number is 2 more than another. The difference between their squares is 32. What are the numbers?
- 1-) A quality control department noted took a sample of 40 product, and found the mean number of defect to...
- Application Case 9–2 The Politics of Performance Appraisal Every Friday, Max Steadman, Jim Cobun, Lynne Sims, and Tom Hamilton meet at Charley’s Food Place after work for refreshments. The four friends work as managers at Eckel Industries, a manufactur
- Mg+O ->
- -4x+2y=20 x-2y=-20
- tax memorandum on taxable reward of lawsuit
- What type of collection vehicle would you recommend? What capacity truck would be appropriate (available truck capacities are 14, 16,...
- they pay $18 for 12 dozen buttons.How much do 50 dozen buttons cost?
- Initially, A yoga ball is partially blown up and its surface area measured. Afterwards, it is filled completely and its...