CJ 230 3-3 Quiz
Course: Discretion in Criminal Justice
1. Which of the following best defines the term ethics? Select one.
a. The study and analysis of what constitutes good or bad conduct.
b. The application of ethical principles to specific issues.
c. The discipline that investigates the meaning of ethical systems.
d. The principles of right and wrong.
Answer: D- The principles of right and wrong
2. True or False: Without discretion, a police department loses its professionalism.
Answer: A- True
3. What are the spheres of influence on ethical decision making? Select all that
d. Work group
Answer: D- Workgroup, and E- Biological
4. Which of the following spheres of influence includes such factors as ethical
fading and motivated blindness? Select one.
c. Work group
Answer: C- Work group
5. Why is the study of ethics important in criminal justice? Select all that apply.
a. Ethics is not something often considered in the criminal justice system.
b. Students should be sensitized to ethical issues.
c. There are many opportunities for abuse.
d. Students should understand how to avoid lawsuits.
e. As public servants, criminal justice professionals owe special duties to the public.
Answer: A, B, and E are reasons that the study of ethics is important in criminal justice
6. Which of the following refers to the manner in which a question is created to be
answered? Select one.
a. Gathering intelligence
b. Coming to conclusions
d. Creating a structure filled with checks and balances
Answer: C- Framing
7. Which of the following are requirements for attorneys based on the Model
Rules? Select all that apply.
a. Attorneys should place professional considerations above client interests.
b. Attorneys should not have two clients with competing interests.
c. Attorneys may disregard a client’s interest while maintaining a professional and
d. Attorneys should maintain confidentiality regarding information obtained through
e. Attorneys should not take cases beyond their expertise.
Answer: B- Attorneys should not have two clients with competing interests, D- Attorneys
should maintain confidentiality regarding information obtained through their client, and E-
Attorneys should not take cases beyond their expertise
8. True or False: Officers do not allow their view of the world affect how they do
Answer: B- False
9. True or False: The mission of the National Registry of Exonerations is to provide
comprehensive information on exonerations of innocent criminal defendants in
order to prevent future false convictions by learning from past errors.
Answer: A- True
10. Studies conducted by the Pew Research Center show that civil rights
complaints against police are positively correlated to which of the following?
a. The number of crimes in a population
b. The percentage of minorities in the population
c. The overall population of an area
d. The number of police officers employed in an area
Answer: B- The percentage of minorities in the population