(it's important to do this first)
Second, review these Three PowerPoints (I broke the presentation into 3 parts so that the file does not become too large):
Based on Dr Percy's Presentation of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, write a 200-250 word paper (no more than one page) that is reflective of where you are on your journey to effectiveness as a leader.
(NOTE -- ALL PAPERS MUST USE TIMES NEW ROMAN 11 or 12 PT FONT WITH 1 INCH MARGINS). USE BOLD HEADERS TO GUIDE THE READER! ALSO, NO COVER PAGE OR REFERENCE PAGE. PLACE A TITLE IN THE HEADER AND REFERENCE IN THE FOOTER. This applies only to this course if you have other courses with me!)
Important to Note -- all papers are submitted to TURNITIN -- Turnitin matches the text within an assignment by comparing a student's submission against an archive of internet documents, internet data, a repository of previously submitted papers, and subscription repository of periodicals, journals, and publications.
Papers with a Match Score greater than 25% may require you to resubmit the paper. You will receive immediate feedback on the "Match" score of your paper when you submit it. You may submit more than once to the assignment.
Seven Habits Part I
Seven Habits Part II
Seven Habits Part III
Third - Assess yourself -- Are You A Principle Centered Leader?
In chapter 1 of Principle-Centered Leadership (Covey, 1991), Covey lists the following characteristics of principle-centered leaders. They strive to live out the Seven Habits: Be Proactive, Begin with the End in Mind, Put First things First, Think Win-Win, Seek first to Understand than be Understood, Synergize, and Sharpen the Saw.
Principle Centered Leadership is practiced from the inside-out on four levels: Personal (relationship with self), Interpersonal (relationship with others), managerial (responsibility to get things done with others), organizational (responsibility to recruit, train, compensate a team, create strategies, structure and systems to accomplish goals).
As per Seven Habits they live by the compass not the clock. Correct Principles are like a compass: they are always pointing the way. Principles are self-evident, self-validating natural laws, such as the Law of the Harvest.
· PCLs are continually learning. They learn from experience, they read, seek training, take classes, listen, and learn both through their ears and eyes. (Proverbs 16:16).
· PCLs are service-oriented. They "yoke up" every morning and put on the harness of service. (Matthew 20:26-27)
· PCLs radiate positive energy. They are cheerful, pleasant, happy. Their attitudes are optimistic, positive, upbeat, enthusiastic, hopeful, believing. (Galatians 5:22-23)
· PCLs believe in other people. They are not naive, but they do not overreact to the negative behaviors of others, rather they realize the unseen potential of every human. (Colossians 3:13-14).
· PCLs lead balanced lives. They feel their own worth without having to brag, they think in terms of continuums not all-or-nothing, their actions and attitudes are proportionate to the situation. (I Corinthians 9:25,Proverbs 25:16, 28)
· PCLs see life as an adventure. They are like courageous explorers going on an expedition into unchartered territories and their security lies in they initiative, resourcefulness, creativity, willpower, and courage. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
· PCLs are synergistic. They build on their strengths and strive to complement their weaknesses with the strengths of others. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).
· PCLs exercise for self-renewal. As per the Seventh Habit-Sharpen the Saw, PCLs renew body, mind, social, and spirit. (Romans 12:1-2, I Corinthians 6:15a).
Reference: Covey, S.R. (1991). Principle Centered Leadership. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
(Scripture references provided by Dr Percy)
1. Which of these characteristics do you consistently demonstrate? 2. Which of these are a struggle for you? 3. What action steps can you take to improve in these areas? 4. What step will you take this week?
Fourth, assess yourself on how well you live the Seven Habits? Which habit is a struggle for you and which habit do you feel most confident about? (You should complete the Seven Habits survey included below).
After completing the above assessments, write and submit a paper as described below (in MS Word or Google DOCS using APA style) by SUNDAY. The paper should have four parts and be between 200 and 250 words.) a. Part One – An overview that demonstrates your understanding of the Seven Habits b. Part Two – An assessment of your leadership style as it compares to Covey’s Principle Centered Leadership. c. Part Three – An assessment of how well you live the Seven Habits. d. Part Four – Concluding remarks.