Leadership Styles, Skills, and Vision
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read and review Chapters 1-8 of Introduction to Leadership: Concepts and Practice. Additionally, review the Week 3 - Weekly Lecture.
By the end of Week 3, you have covered many topics about leadership (Chapters 1-8). You have taken self-assessment surveys, created journal entries on leadership, and have begun to understand some of your own strengths and weaknesses with regard to leadership.
This week you learned that leadership is a skill that can be learned, the importance of developing a strong vision, and the relationship between effective leadership and productive work.
Address all of these bullets (create an appropriate APA heading):
· Identify which one of the six dimensions you have learned about (i.e., trait, ability, skill, behavior, relationship, and process) seems to be the most obvious for the leader you have chosen to research for your final project.
· Describe the biggest challenge this leader had to face and how was it overcome.
· Identify the trait or skill the person used to overcome this challenge.
· Explain if the leader was successful in overcoming the challenge and why or why not.
· Describe the style of leadership this person exhibits (i.e., authoritarian, democratic, or laissez-faire).
· Provide specific examples for why you chose this style.
· Explain emotional intelligence and its importance as a leadership skill.
· Describe the model of primary leadership skills and its components.
· Explain the importance of a leader following and communicating a vision and setting the tone.
It is strongly encouraged that you receive feedback on your paper using the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center Paper Review before submitting this assignment. It is recommended that you submit your paper for a paper review at least two days before your assignment is due in order to receive feedback and implement it into your paper before submitting your paper to Waypoint. For instructions on how to use this feature, please review the Writing Center’s Paper Review (Links to an external site.) resource.
The Leadership Styles, Skills, and Vision paper
· Must be four pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper in bold font
· Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
· Student’s name
· Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Due date
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least three scholarly or credible sources in addition to the course text.
· The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view The University of Arizona Global Campus Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
· Must include a separate references [page or slide] that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.