Assignment 1: Eating Disorders
Cultures idealizing thinness, pressure from peers to fit in, and constant images of bodily perfection shown by mass media, along with additional physiological and psychological factors, can combine to create the perfect storm for adolescents struggling with eating disorders. For this Assignment, choose one peer-reviewed research study about eating disorders that focuses on a minority group of adolescents. Consider connections between physiological development, adolescence, and eating disorders.
· Submit a 2-page paper for which you articulate a position on eating disorders in adolescent girls from diverse racial and cultural experiences.
· Explain how the position is related to the biological and/or physiological development as well as psychological development of adolescent girls.
· Further, explain how such findings can inform evidence-based social work practice.
· Please use the Learning Resources and the research study you identified to support your answer.
References (use at least 2)
AbigailNatenshon.com. (2011). Abigail H. Natenshon: Empowered parents. Retrieved from http://www.abigailnatenshon.com/
Cheney, A. M. (2011). Most girls want to be skinny: Body (dis)satisfaction among ethnically diverse women. Qualitative Health Research, 21(10), 1347–1359.
Zastrow, C. H., & Kirst-Ashman, K. K. (2016). Understanding human behavior and the social environment (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
Chapter 6 (pp. 295-332).
Assignment 2: Multiracial Discrimination
Dalmage (2013) writes, "Parents and teachers should be aware of the unique forms of discrimination faced by multiracial children and the White supremacist system in which discrimination flourishes" (p. 101). As social workers, we should be aware of our own understanding of what it means to be multiracial in society. This awareness includes a review of our own potential biases that might exist. We need to challenge our own personal ideas about how we categorize individuals and those assumptions that follow along with those categories. Rather, we must respect our client's experience as a multiracial person in the world, beginning with asking him or her how they would define themselves when completing an intake or assessment form. Further, a social worker must be aware of the many forms of racism and prejudice a person with a multiracial background might experience. As Dalmage discusses, judgment comes from many sides with different intentions and expectations. Being aware of the particular forms of racism that a person who is multiracial will experience will give you the ability to do your best to understand their experience and empathize.
· Submit a 2-page paper. Describe the impact of discrimination on individuals of multiracial backgrounds.
· Describe the impact of biracial/multiracial or multiethnic distinction on our society.
· Justify your response. How do these distinctions relate to social work practice with individuals, families, groups, and communities?
· Be sure to use APA formatting and references from the Learning Resources and two additional peer-reviewed resources from the Walden library about the discrimination against biracial and multiracial individuals.
References (use at least 3-4)
Adams, M., Blumenfeld, W. J., Castaneda, C., Hackman, H. W., Peters, M. L., & Zuniga, X. (Eds.). (2013). Readings for diversity and social justice. (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge Press.
Chapter 11, (pp. 77–86)
Chapter 12, (pp. 86–92)
Chapter 14, (pp. 96–101)
Chapter 15, (pp. 102–109)
Bracey, J. R., Bamaca, M. Y., & Umana-Taylor, A. (2004). Examining ethnic identity and self-esteem among biracial and monoracial adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 33(2), 123-123+. Retrieved from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/204652736?accountid=14872
Johnson, N. L. (2009). Counselors' measures of attitudes and knowledge of working with biracial and multiracial youth (Order No. 3400147). Available from ProQuest Central. (304927059). Retrieved from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/304927059?accountid=14872
National Association of Social Workers. (2007). Institutional racism & the social work profession: A call to action. Retrieved from http://www.socialworkers.org/diversity/InstitutionalRacism.pdf
InstanceEndEditable InstanceEndRepeatEntry InstanceBeginRepeatEntry InstanceBeginEditable name="Required Reading Item 4 Edit"
Williams, R. F. (2009). Black-white biracial students in american schools: A review of the literature. Review of Educational Research, 79(2), 776-804. Retrieved from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/214135707?accountid=14872
- 5 years ago
- NOT RATED
APA FORMAT 2-3 PAGE PLUS REFERENCE PAGE IN-TEXT CITATION ETC. IF YOU CAN NOT ADHERE TO THE DETAILS OR DEADLINE DO NOT TAKE THIS ASSIGNMENT.
USE THE RESOURCE LINKS AND UPLOADS IN …5 years ago