quiz history of jazznalhaqb
I. Match the time periods with the Jazz styles and artists. Each letter has one best match.
A. Hard Bop, the Jazz Messengers B. Charlie Parker, Bebop C. Cool Jazz, MJQ D. Free Jazz, John Coltrane
1. Starting around 1945
2. Starting around 1950
3. Starting around 1955
4. Starting around 1960
II. Match the names with these instruments. Each letter is used once.
A. Piano players B. Saxophone players C. Trumpet players D. Drummers
5. Max Roach, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones
6. McCoy Tyner, Thelonius Monk, Horace Silver, Dave Brubeck
7. Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Clifford Brown
8. Charlie Parker, Paul Desmond, Sonny Rollins, Gerry Mulligan
III. Match the names with these descriptions. Each letter is used once.
A. Charlie Parker B. Dizzy Gillespie C. Thelonius Monk D. John Coltrane
9. This trumpet player was a leader in both Bebop and Cubop jazz styles.
10. This alto saxophone player influenced the course of modern jazz with his extraordinary bebop performances.
11. This Bebop composer/pianist is known for his rhythmic irregularities and syncopations, and his melodic and harmonic dissonances, including the use of the “whole-tone” scale.
12. The Free Jazz movement was led by this intense tenor and soprano saxophonist. After working with Miles & Monk, he formed his own classic quartet.
IV. Match the lettered names with the name and/or groups they are most closely associated. Each letter is used once.
A. Dizzy Gillespie B. Art Blakey and Horace Silver C. John Lewis and Milt Jackson
D. Gil Evans, Bill Evans E. McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones
13. The Modern Jazz Quartet
14. Charlie Parker
15. Miles Davis
16. The Jazz Messengers
17. John Coltrane
V. Name the one letter that does not belong with the others in the given category.
18. Characteristics of Bebop: A. features mostly improvisation B. combos rather than big bands C. emphasis on dancing D. faster tempos and complex harmonies and melodies
19. Characteristics of Cool Jazz: A. Restraint B. Extreme volume and dynamics
C. May include some 3rd Stream influences D. a reaction to bebop
20. The album “Birth of the Cool”: A. Copied Art Tatum solos B. included Gil Evans and
Gerry Mulligan arrangements C. included some 3rd stream styles D. Miles Davis solos
21. Terms used to describe the playing of a modern jazz rhythm section: A. Piano “comping” B. Bass “walking” C. guitar “goofing off” D. Drummer “keeping time”
VI. Questions about chronological order:
22. Which jazz style is out of order in time?
A. Swing B. Bebop C. Cool D. Hot Jazz
23. Which jazz artist is out of chronological order?
A. Louis Armstrong B. Miles Davis C. Duke Ellington D. Charlie Parker
24. Which jazz style is out of chronological order?
A. Hard Bop B. Bebop C. Cool Jazz D. Free Jazz
VII. Questions from on-line assignments. Each letter is used only once.
A. Power and Virtuosity B. Dizzy Gillespie C. Koko D. String Bass
25. What is the title of the featured song in the Charlie Parker assignment?
26. Who stepped in to help Charlie Parker’s recording by playing both piano and trumpet?
27. What are some of the reasons we still revere Coltrane's music?
28. In the beginning and ending of “So What”, what instrument plays the melody?
- 4 years ago
- NOT RATED2220 Quiz #2I. Match the time periods with the Jazz styles and artists.Each letter has one best match.A. Hard Bop, the …4 years ago