Assignment 2: Ethical Considerations
In this assignment, you will discuss some of the ethical underpinnings of policy issues, including the potential for unintended or unequal outcomes for various constituencies impacted by the policy.
On the basis of readings and research, write a 3- to 4-page paper responding to the following:
- Explain why you think ethics matter in policy development. Identify the ethical considerations that must be taken into account when drafting or designing a policy.
- Explain how leaders go about making decisions when the principles and norms surrounding an issue conflict with each other.
- Research a social policy that is of interest to you. Use resources from professional literature in your research. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov). The policy can be one that has resulted in legislative action (such as the creation of new laws or regulations as a result of advocacy work), or it can be in the development cycle.
- Discuss the ethical considerations associated with the policy, including differences between the intended and actual impacts of the policy. Discuss who is or might be impacted by the policy and what the impacts might be on each group.
- Save your paper in a Microsoft Word document named M2_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and by Wednesday, February 3, 2016, upload it to the M2 Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria|
|Provided a comprehensive discussion about why ethics are important in policy development. Included a discussion about the importance of ethical behavior in policy development and implementation. Discussed specific examples to support responses.|
|Discussed the potential conflicts that leaders might face in policy advocacy. Included a discussion of steps in the decision-making process of resolving conflicts.|
|Discussed the main purpose of the policy. Included a discussion about who is supposed to benefit from the policy.|
|Discussed the ethical considerations associated with the policy from the perspective of policy development and implementation. Discussed which people or groups are or might be impacted by the policy. Included a discussion of the actual impacts on each person or group, including the impact on general society.|
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.|