1. In 1958, civil rights leaders, including A. Philip Randolph and Martin Luther King, Jr., met with President Eisenhower. What did they advise him to do about U.S. racial inequality? What was Eisenhower’s response?
2. In May 1963, civil rights leaders met in New York City with Attorney General Robert Kennedy. What message did they give the president’s brother about the pace of federal government response to racial inequality? What was Robert Kennedy’s response?
3. What images influenced President Kennedy to act on civil rights?
4. What was the official name of the march that took place on August 28, 1963?
5. Who was the last official speaker at the march and what is his current job?
6. Which African-American leader wrote this about the plans for the march?
“We’re going to march on Washington, march on the Senate, march on the White House, march on the Congress, and tie it up, bring it to a halt; don’t let the government proceed. They even said they was [sic] going out to the airport and lay down on the runway and don’t let no airplanes land. I’m telling you what they said. That was revolution. That was revolution. That was the black revolution.”
7. How did international press attention influence the passage of civil rights laws?
8. Which civil rights leader worked at the grassroots level to train young people on how to sign up people to vote in the Deep South?
9. What is significant in terms of civil rights about the 2013 Supreme Court Ruling called Shelby County v. Holder?
10. In 1997, Kathleen Cleaver wrote the following about which organization?
“And what appealed to me about the ______________________was that it took that position of self-determination and articulated it in a local community structure, had a program, had a platform and an implementation through the statement of how blacks should exercise community control over education, housing, business, military service.”
11. Who is Peniel E. Joseph?
12. What was the Kerner Commission? Why was it set up? What did it warn about American society?
- 5 years ago
- ACCT - DONALD RUDDY COMPANY PROBLEM
- Managerial Economics
- for yashaswi
- MTH 221 Week 1 DQs
- Managerial Accounting
- The following Balance Sheets and Income Statements were extracted from the books of Company P and Company R who are...
- Violence Against Women on a Global Scale
- Â¿LÃ³gico o ilÃ³gico? Indicate whether each statement is lÃ³gico or ilÃ³gico. Teresa supo que hice una fiesta y no la invitÃ©. Ahora...
- PHY homawork
- math 2